Turistička zajednica Općine Podgora

Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

History

Podgora was early inhabited due to its geographical position. It is mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1571. as one of the places under the protection of Venice, after the Turkish defeat in the battle of Lepant. From that period there are remains of a cemetery with a couple of preserved tombstones. Church of St. Tekla is mentioned in 1630. In Gornja Podgora which was inhabited until the great earthquake in 1962.

 

 

there are numerous remains of the churches, and the most important structure, also damaged in the earthquake, is a large keep on the hill Roscici from the times of Turkish invasions. The keep lost some of its “warlike” appearance considering it was afterwards redesigned as living quarters. Other important historical monuments include the church of All Saints, built in 1764. and a chapel of Holy heart of Jesus built in 1804. by the family Mrkusic.During its long past and to the present day, Podgora faced the sea and made its living from the sea, even though, until the second half of 20th century, it was mainly located higher up the mountain.Mountain provided shelter from the danger from the sea, like pirates and raiders and the land is more fertile further from the sea because of the salt in the air and
soil.After the great earthquake in 1962. Podgora was completely orients to the sea. Its inhabitants built their houses closer to the sea, rather then reconstructing old ones in Gornja Podgora. Construction of Adriatic Road and the tourist development also contributed.
SHEMANSHIP AT PODGORA
Since the time of antique triremes till present day yachts Podgora has always had a naval and maritime tradition. The centre of oresent day Podgora was developed around the port with local fishing fleet that make way for tourist boats.During the Second World War this was the stronghold of resistance on sea, which is commemorated by the monument “The wing of a Seagull” which dominates the hilltop above the town.I n two marinas, Porat and Caklje, there is space for 360 ships, although most of the berths are taken with local fleets. Those two ports are also of the anchorage s in this part of the coast.